Tuesday, April 14, 2015

First Mosquito of the Season

This hand is to tough to bite...
My husband captured this hearty mosquito yesterday in the palm of his hand.  Look at the size of this thing!  They are hatching out already and we've just had a couple inches of snow again a few days ago.... I have a feeling this will be a bad year for mosquitoes as last summer they had record rainfall in Fairbanks.  Most gardeners had trouble growing anything because it was so wet and muddy.  Usually Fairbanks is quite dry.

Does anyone out there have any all natural recipes that work for warding off mosquitoes?  I would love to try any and all of them.  Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. Wow look at that thing!!! I'm glad I live down here in Kentucky!! I will pray that you all don't get as much rain as last year!! God bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is early for mosquitos! I really don't know of anything that works as a total deterrent other than DEET, which is not natural at all. I know that Avon's Skin So Soft product is supposed to repel mosquitos. I have also heard that there are little bracelets that you can wear that put off a smell that wards off the mosquitos. I wish you well in this endeavor! Don't you have to deal with gnats and blackflies too? I've heard they are really bad. I've been in them before, swarms of blackflies that just cloud the air, and crawl up your nose and ears. Miserable things. I've heard that a net covering your head is about all you can do to keep those away. Good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips, we don't have to many gnats and blackflies here around Fairbanks, but I've seen more of them when we travel further out away from civilization. I've heard some horror stories too but with the proper netting, one can endure.

      Delete